Is possible to have 16 setups with EN16?

I’m a new user and I’m just getting to know the system.

Is it possible to create 16 different encoder configurations in single EN16? Specifically, I mean that, for example, I press EN1 and all 16 encoders have some CC and channel assigned to them. After pressing EN2, the configuration would change to a different one (different CC, different channel).

I had a similar question here:

You’ll find a good starting point in that topic. Cheers

1 Like

I just published a Profile called 64CRTL to Profile Cloud.

It’s a Profile with 64 user-customizable CCs arranged into 4 banks. You can switch between the banks using the top row of encoder push buttons. Active bank is highlighted with an animation.
When switching banks, the state of the previous bank is stored.

This way you can tailor each bank to a specific instrument while avoiding parameter jumps, even though the Profile is using absolute MIDI messages.

Give it a try, I feel like this is similar to what you were looking for. While it’s not 16 banks of custom parameters, it could be a starting point for a configuration like that.
In any case, I’m eager to hear your thoughts!

3 Likes

Wow, great! I was checking cloud profiles but there was only few EN16 profiles and nothing useful for me. Your profile seems to be what I need to start, I’ll check it - thanks!

BTW: This could be updated with global midi channel change and “somehow” extend every profile with option to change 1-12 midi channels (12 push buttons).

1 Like

I checked this profile and it actually works - there are four virtual settings within one page :slight_smile: I only saw that such a setup can be uploaded in each of the four directions, which basically theoretically suits my needs:)

…but there is a “but” and I don’t know if it can be overcome. I wanted to program my own CH/CC for each encoder of the four virtual pages, but either I misunderstand something or it’s not possible.

Changing the settings of the first encoder after setting the channel and CC to are hardcoded propagates to all four virtual sides. Or maybe I’m doing something wrong? Is it possible to set my own CH/CC for every 64 encoders?

1 Like

I made the Profile so that you could hand-craft the CCs and MIDI channels you need, but the idea of the setup was for a singular module.

Setting the individual CCs should happen under System Init with each bank having 8 ccs.
Setting the ch per bank happens similarly.

Change a,b,c,d values for switching out the CCs per bank of a,b,c,d.
Change chbanks values for switching out the MIDI Channel for each bank.

Hope this helps explain it!

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

I have one more question. I would specify two parameters per every 64 knob. Since I work with few instruments, I would be able to set CC and CH for every page. So for example

• on PAGE1, KNOB1 will be CH1 and CC1
  • on PAGE1, KNOB2 will be CH2 and CC2

but:

• on PAGE2, KNOB1 will be CH3 and CC3
  • on PAGE2, KNOB2 will be CH16 and CC99

Just an example.

I use this system on Faderfox and it’s central controller for all gears, but I would change it to two, connected EN16 controllers. So with 8x4 encoders (by 4 pages), I would control 8 gears (4 parameters on PAGE1, and another on PAGE2,3,4).

Is it possible to do that?

1 Like

You would have to customize the CHs the same way as CCs are customized and shove them into a table.

The CH table should look like this when called: chbanks[bank_number][self:element_index()]. In the current iteration this is done by just calling chbanks[mem[1]] which is always the bank number, but of course this is why it’s limited to one CH per bank.

Tbh this is very much doable, but we’re quite character constrained on the system init already, so some trickery would have to be done for it to fit in there like initing the CHs on the timer event.

If you’re not feeling up for this task let me know, I could update the profile early next week!

1 Like

I would be very grateful! Unfortunately, I don’t understand programming Intech code yet. I used to program a bit and I understand more about what it’s about, but it’s hard for me to do these modifications myself.

And - is possible - some more questions / wishes:

• the best way to change change pages is pressing knob down 1-4, which could change virtual pages (on two EN16 at once).
  • does changing the LED color for virtual pages (for example, PAGE1 - green, PAGE2 - red, etc.) also have to be programmed from the code or from the application configuration?
  • since virtual pages remember the parameters, is it possible to change the LED intensity right away, depending on the CC parameter?

If I could use it in controllers, it would be a mega step forward for me! I really liked the capabilities of these devices, but I was a bit overwhelmed by the programming issues.

THANK YOU!

Just updated to profile to V2!

V2 Features:

• Per bank per element configurable MIDI Channel values under system timer!
  • Global bank change over multiple modules running 64CRTL V2!
  • Color-coded banks!
  • Optional color-based feedback mode (Set the variable colfeed to 1 to turn it on)!

Visual aid for setting up 64CTRL V2:

Set your CCs in variables a,b,c and d. And decide whether or not to use color based feedback.

Set up custom MIDI Channels per bank per encoder.

I admit this is quite a complex configuration, but I hope the final product is worth it.

P.S.: for now, this config might not fit on older EN16 modules, I’ll try and fix that…

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes, I have older and newer EN16 and there was problem with uploading profile. After few times, it did work. I didn’t change configuration yet, but thank you for update! I’ll start testing it :smiley:

One more thing as well, for now you’ll have to use the nightly firmware version for the global bank switching to work because it uses immediate_send() (explained here).

Nightly firmware has been patched and now older D51-based modules should be able to switch banks as well.